Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cooking with Sheila: Easy Banh Mi!

hello there readers!! this is my first post to the esteemed yumyum cooking club, so i should introduce myself. i am sheila, chef hopeful and one day culinary school attendee. for now, i am just a girl who loves cooking and HATES her kitchen. my posts will most likely tend to have an undercurrent of frustration from dealing with the constraints of my little kitchen. my last house had a dishwasher, garbage disposal, and loads of counter space and cabinets. my new house has no dishwasher, no counter space, and no room for fucking ANYTHING!!! can you blame me for being a little grumpy?? i am all about bringing a little fancy into everyday life, making some basic recipes with a twist, working with what i have in my house, being cheap, and all that.

anyway, onto the food! so essentially, banh mi is an amazing vietnamese sandwich on a baguette. it mixes crunchy and mushy, sweet and savory. just general deliciousness, on toasted bread. it features red chili paste, pork, cucumbers, basil, cilantro, and other wonderful flavors. however, it's more of a project. last night i came home ravenously hungry and needing a relatively quick fix. so here's what i did.

1) throw some olive oil in the pan, toss in a diced onion and 2 cloves of garlic. let the onion get nice and soft for a few minutes.2) put in your protein- whether that is ground turkey, ground beef, pork, chicken, etc. i used ground beef. brown it.
3) add some soy sauce, maybe 2 tbsps, some salt for flavor , and some sugar (probably a teaspoon or two).4)another of my gripes is produce. everytime i buy some produce, it almost always goes bad because i have ambitious ideas and a lazy hand. this especially applies to fresh herbs. so instead, i used some dried basil and dried cilantro. 1 tsp of each.
4)add 2-3 tbsps of hoisin sauce and mix it all up. taste it and make sure there is enough flavor on hur.5)spread red chili paste (which is at any grocery store in the asian aisle, same goes for the hoisin sauce) on a whole wheat tortilla- or basically whatever you have on hand. if you have a baguette, go wild. if you have some bread, do it. this stuff is spicy, so if you have a sensitive stomach beware. or just use sparingly.6)put some of the beef mixture in the center of your tortilla. i picked up some mixed greens in a bag and put some of those on.7)roll it up and you are done!!

i strongly recommend you make a "real" banh mi sandwich someday, but this is great in a pinch. xoxo

3 comments:

Ali said...

Yay!! Quick sammiches are the best!!

There used to be a legendary banh mi place by my old apartment, and yet I never went, because at that point I wasn't eating a very exciting variety of foods. The world opens up when you just open your little mouf!

Elbows said...

It's the Hoisin sauce that does it for me. These things are delicious. I go light on the chili sauce though.

Courtney Trowbridge said...

Well here is the effervescent presence of Courtney for a comment. I had a entry all ready, but my friend Melissa had the camera to take pictures and still hasn't sent them to me. I shall have to source my imaging partner elsewhere!
Regardless this sounds super fun! I have a certain Vietnamese restaurant I love to get pho at, so will have to try the banh mi next time I'm out!
Anyway, I have some cooking plans a-brewing WITH...alcoholic beverage recipes to match!